Heine Research Academies are pleased to announce funding support for doctoral and postdoctoral researchers for active participation at scientific conferences and symposia abroad. Here you will find all information about available funding and application requirements:
- Participation at scientific conferences and symposia abroad. Unfortunately, virtual conference participation cannot be supported.
- Travel grants will be paid in the amount of:
|Australia, Oceania, Japan, Corea||1500€|
- If the travel expenses are lower than the lump sum only the amount of the actual costs will be paid.
- The remaining expenses must be financed by the respective institutes or through other funds (e.g. conference scholarships, DAAD). Financing of the remaining expenses through the applicants themselves is not possible.
- Doctoral researchers who are members of the graduate academies at Heinrich Heine University (iGRAD, medRSD, philGRAD). Doctoral researchers should have completed a course in "Good Scientific Practice" at the graduate academies.
- Postdoctoral researchers at HHU or UKD (without a permanent position) up to ten years after their doctoral degree. Postdoctoral researchers of Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences need to be registered at the graduate academy iGRAD. Junior-Professors can not apply for the traveling grants.
- The own research achievement must be presented through active participation in the conference in the form of a lecture, poster or equivalent.
- The relevance and benefit of the conference for the research project need to be depicted comprehensible.
- Additional expenses for the trip must be financed by the respective institutes or through other funds. Financing of the remaining expenses through the applicants themselves is not possible.
- Doctoral researchers can get funded once during their doctoral research. Postdoctoral researchers can get funded once in three years.
- The application for HeRA travel grants must be submitted before the start of the trip. Please note the application deadlines.
- The travel allowances have to be requested from Heine Research Academies at the latest 3 months after the trip, otherwise the entitlement to payment of the allowance expires.
- Upon acceptance of the HeRA travel grants the funded researchers commit themselves to participation at a presentation event in the framework of the HeRA travel grants programme.
- In case external funds for traveling are available for the specific research project (e.g. from DFG projects, graduate programmes), theses funds should be use preferentially.
- Applications can be submitted four times a year. The application has to be submitted at one of the four application deadlines, before the conferences takes place. Please submit your application in good time before your planned trip. Applications are possible before acceptance to the conference.
- Annual application deadlines:
- 28.02. (recommended deadline for conferences in May, June, July)
- 31.05. (recommended deadline for conferences in August, September and October)
- 31.08. (recommended deadline for conferences in November, December and January of the upcoming year)
- 30.11. (recommended deadline for conferences in February, March and April of the upcoming year)
Please apply for HeRA traveling grants in good time before your planned trip, by filling out the application form at the Online-Application Portal. At the end of the application form you will have the opportunity to upload additionally required documents (see list below). Your application will be considered in the upcoming selection process. The selection committee consists of the graduate academies programme coordinators, three professors from HHU (one from each faculty) and the spokesperson of Heine Research Academies.
Please up-load the required documents in the following order in a single PDF document at the Online-Application Portal:
- Letter of invitation or proof of acceptance to the conference (can be provided later, but is required before the start of the trip). An application for HeRA travel grants is already possible, before you have registered for the conference.
- Abstract of contribution to the conference (poster, talk; max. 1 page)
- Letter of motivation (max. 1 page). Detailed information about the content of the motivation letter can be found here.
- Letter of support from supervisor (please use Form 1)
- CV, including publication list if applicable
- Copy of the certificate of last university degree (Bachelor, Master or PhD degree)
- if applicable, proof of additional funding for the travel expenses (e.g. DAAD, conference fellowship)