Academic Career Development Programme
Advance your skills and shape your research career
You are pursuing an academic career and want to advance your skills to meet the challenges of your everyday research environment? You want to further develop your role as a (prospective) research group leader, acquire progressive leadership and management skills and benefit from direct exchange with your peers?
Then take part in the "Academic Career Development Programme” of Heine Research Academies. The interdisciplinary program supports your personal career in academia and facilitates training in a small, set peer group. A certificate confirms the successful participation in the programme.
The academic career development programme is a training and continuing education programme for advanced postdoctoral researchers seeking an academic career. The participants are members of HHU have an own research project and are
- advanced postdocs with own research experience
- junior research group leaders or
- Junior Professors
Objectives of the programme
The Academic Career Development Programme aims to further professionalize the management of your everyday research environment and prepares you for (future) management tasks in research. During the programme you will reflect on your personal capacity as a leader in research and actively extend your skills.
The programme is designed for a limited group of likeminded professionals that are or soon will be on their way to full research independency. You connect with your peers and discuss with each other on equal footing. The workshops and networking sessions are set up to further enhance your understanding of the research system in order to make use of it for your personal career. This leaves you well prepared for upcoming challenges and allows more time for your actual research.
- Workshops (see below): 1-2 day trainings, within the set group of 10-12 participants
- Peer Coaching: coaching in small peer groups concering individually choosen topics, 4-6 peers in one group, 5-6 sessions throughout the entire programme, each session is about 2 hours
- Networking events: evening panel events with networking possibilities, e.g. HeRA Werkstatt
See the scheme of the 2017/2018 programme on the right.
Areas of advanced competence development
- Workshop 1: Developing a career in science by strategic research funding
- Workshop 2: Leadership as a challenge: Leadership styles, instruments and creative leeways
- Workshop 3: Taking Advantage of Team Dynamics & Managing Teams
- Workshop 4: Optional topics: professional teaching / advanced project management / communication skills / conflict management / application for a faculty position/professorship
The Academic Career Development Programme is a set programme of Heine Research Academies for a maximum of 12 participants. The programme lasts for about 1,5 years (depending on the individualized schedule for Workshop 4). Participation is voluntary. If you have signed up for the programme we expect you to take part for the entire length of the programme. Participation is open and free of charge for HHU members.
Please apply with your CV and a letter of motivation (1 page; all in English). In your letter please describe your professional aims and how participating in the Academic Career Development Programme will support these goals. Finally sign and scan the letter of commitment and electronically submit your application in one document to the address below.
Application deadline for the 2017/18 term is January 30, 2017.
Dr. Uta Brunner
Heine Research Academies
Heinrich Heine University
Universitätsstr. 1. Geb. 16.11 04.33
D – 40225 Düsseldorf
Tel. +49 (0)211-81 13564
Keyimage: ©kupicoo/istockphoto.com further modified by A. Koerdt